Thursday, March 25, 2010

My fav line coming from my ECON1010 Microeconomics lecturer from today

We were discussing about the market for parental rights for babies (adoption)

So we were discussing on whether there should be a free market for it -

If there were a free market...

- most would-be parents would easily get their adopted children
- would-be parents wouldn't need to go through the 'tests' in order to get their children (and is this good or bad? it is good because bad would-be parents would be eliminated from the list, but then again it is bad because it intrudes the privacy of the would-be parents: weight, age are all taken into account, so people who want to be parents can't be more than 40[makes no sense because some people get married at 30, try to have a baby naturally for a few years and then try up for adoption at 36 and stays on the waiting list for 4 years and are canceled out of the list when they hit 40])
- some women would get pregnant on purpose just to 'sell' the baby

Now, would it be fair to judge those women?
No, it isn't. It is like judging prostitutes and drug sellers - most people just aren't prostitutes/drug sellers because they don't think the current market price is worth it.
Therefore, women who do 'sell' their babies shouldn't be judged.

Here comes the awesome line:

Quote:
"I'm not clever so I can't get a job, I'm not pretty so I can't be a prostitute. But I can pump out babies."


Meh~ I know, lame post for today, but I found it amusing ;)

No comments: